The Great Divide

 

 ‘The safety, honor and welfare of your country come first, always and every time. The honor, welfare and comfort of the men you command come next. Your own ease, comfort and safety come last, always and every time.’

                                                                                                        Philip Chetwode






It was in July 2011 that I decided to finally hang my uniform after having served for twenty one years in Indian Army. Having given my youth to this excellent profession of arms, I set out to explore what lay on the other side of the hill.  The vagaries of civil life had been quite a popular subject during many a heated discussions; at the late night officer mess parties and time was now ripe to eat the forbidden fruit.

As my family settled down at Meerut, life brought me to Mumbai where I accepted a corporate job as a marketing manager. I rented a flat near my office as travelling in this city of dreams, especially during the monsoons, was a nightmare. As the basic wherewithal to fight a new battle fell into place, I marched ahead with a sense of pride since that was the only way I was familiar with.

At the workplace or otherwise, I always treated women (even though some of them were half my age) as ladies and men as gentlemen. My sincerity and commitment towards my job were as unquestionable as hitherto before. Most important, I still considered the organization to be of paramount importance in my scheme of things and looked upon everyone as part of a big family.

But the reality dawned upon me in a rather cruel manner.

A partial recession had set in early 2012 and the company decided to ‘cut the flab.’ In an unprecedented move, hundreds of employees were fired and rendered jobless. One of them was Gayathri, a shy and soft spoken girl who was part of my team. Her mother was scheduled to undergo a critical breast cancer operation shortly and she needed funds badly. Like a good soldier, I walked into my boss’s cabin and explained her situation to him. But his response was short and sweet: ‘ You should worry about saving your own job. As for her, she has to go.’

Her husband, who also worked there in a different business unit, was also thrown out the same day. As she got the dreaded call from the HR department, she broke down. I sat next to her, trying to sound positive, saying things which I did not myself believe in. The very efficient HR department took just thirty minutes to finish off with her. I saw her standing in the car parking alone, staring blankly at the office building where she had spent seven long years of her life.

After a while, I accompanied her to a nearby restaurant along with my team for a cup of tea. As the very quiet farewell drew to a close, she rose, thanked everyone and trudged away. As her tired body mingled with the great mass of humanity active on the road, she left behind a vacuum in which the reality of my new life struck me with full force.

This was not army where the organization supported the individual so passionately.

Later, I realized that employees also had no love lost for the organization. A few green bucks were enough to lure them away. Moreover, they were not very particular about growing as professionals. A large number of them carried on with their small 9 to 5 lives without any zest. They did not exercise, they did not play any games, they had no hobbies and they lived as if it was a formality. And however hard I tried to treat them as ladies or gentlemen, quite a few had no idea how to behave like one. There was simply no emphasis on grooming these youngsters the way a young army officer is groomed in his regiment.

Equally surprising was the fact that there was no importance whatsoever attached to cultivating relationships. Even if you knew someone for ten or fifteen years, he would never invite you to his home . Employees roamed around with each other, just for the sake of company, during lunch or tea time. Their associations were mechanical and superficial; without any depth.

I remembered with what zeal my soldiers cared for my safety when I was posted with a Rashtriya Rifle battalion in J&K, engaged in anti- terrorist operations.

Here, relationships were too weak for sacrifices of this nature. What to talk of giving up one’s life, here an employee would not even adjust a day’s leave if the situation so demanded.  It was a case of a strange union where neither the organization nor the workers felt for each other. The overriding factor was not to achieve a higher common goal, the overriding factor was only one – money, money and more money.

Heartless is the most appropriate word that I can coin for the way the famed corporate world functions. I still remember how the company went on to cut a substantial part of a teammate's salary as he was forced to move on additional leave since his father was critical and slated to undergo a heart surgery. And as he recounted later, to add insult to injury, a smug lady on the other side of the table, further clarified: ‘I have no time or desire to listen to your personal problems.’

Had it been army, financial help would have poured in without asking for it, apart from the tremendous emotional support that everyone gets there so unconditionally.

But I am thankful to God for giving me an opportunity to recognize and experience this Great Divide. Had it not been for this, I would have never completely realized the true worth of armed forces and the high moral and ethical standards they stand for, not to mention the enormous sense of belonging that makes them what they are.

Lastly, if I ask one of my corporate colleagues to rewrite the famous Chetwode Credo, he would probably reframe it like this:

‘My own safety, honor and welfare come first, always and every time. The honor, welfare and comfort of my subordinates doesn’t actually matter. And country? Are you kidding me?’’

                                                                                                                                                                               

Comments

  1. Indeed it's a great divide, we are running in a race which has no end, there is no room for emotions, you become a different person loosing on your own individuality. You have beautifully as well as lucidly expressed the storm of emotions a person goes through in those 8-9 hrs daily. We need to really reflect back and be a little more compassionate, a Lil more understanding and start caring for employees mental health and stand as strong pillar in tough times. Thank you so much for choosing to write on such a profound topic and courageously taking your teammates stand when everyone else displayed the most mechanical behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Aanchal. We need understanding and compassion at the workplace. We need more people like you who can speak their mind.

      Delete
  2. Great work. Authentic experience outlined. Wonderful. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not acquainted with two sides of coin, but completely agree that corporate world is exactly as described. Neither organizations nor its employees have feeling for each other. There is a simple rule, employees are replaced with new employees by a company as per their requirement. Similarly, employees happily leave and join new organizations to work as they get opportunity to do so. No one is dependent on each other. That is why no love, no bonding, no sense of belonging and no attachment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shalini, I agree. That's why I have used the word, Heartless. But I feel the corporate can imbibe army culture provided it works in that direction.

      Delete
  4. This is a naked truth. But exceptions are there. Especially in the small/medium scale organisations.

    How can a change be brought in, founded on a value based system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my post.
      The point raised by you is quite genuine. The change can be brought in by cultivating a greater sense of bonding between the organizations and the employees through awareness programmes and workshops. There is a need to cultivate a greater sense of pride too. I have myself launched one such initiative knows as 'Hum Sab Mein Hai Ek Yodha' from which scores of organizations have already benefitted.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I totally relate to your experience of the corporate culture ,Maneesh. Your writing is actually got me thinking. This is what capitalism is. Take care of yourself forget the rest. But if you long enough say more than 10 yrs on a job then story is little different. But I agree largely it remains so. But moot question is isnt this happening every where in our society at large ?

      Delete
    2. Praveen, your concern here is very important. It is said that once we recognize a problem, we can solve it also. This article is an attempt in this direction.

      Delete
  6. Having served 10 years in the Navy I cannot but disagree with every line that you've written. The world owes us nothing. It is so easy to curse the corporate but in a corporate world there is no endless funding of tax payers money. Organizations need to make profit to keep afloat. The ones who survive the firing help the ones who were still retained. Money is not a curse and not all corporate employees just nothing but money hungry zombies.

    Seeing the world through a myopic POV will only make you feel that everything is "shit" in comparison. Employee develop skills first and foremost in a company and no-one can lose their skills by losing a job. If I'm skilled enough I will survive even if my company doesn't. It's not like the zombies of corporate have no life or if one were to believe every word you've written they are soulless beings with no empathy or sympathy. I think people here grow so much as independent and strong individuals. They lead teams, they deliver projects, they are not just sitting in AC offices printing money they are out there working their back off come storm or thunder. They do this not because they have to earn "money, money, money" but because they take pride in their work. They take pride in what that they can achieve.

    It's a win-win situation for both the company and the employee. Both grow and both earn and learn. If there are hiccups and which will always be they are not dependent on the mercy or goodwill of someone. They pick up the pieces and fight and live to tell the tale.

    The girl and her husband might have lost their jobs that day but they didn't lose forever. They would have fought harder and come back again stronger. They are warriors in their own right.

    Please stop writing such misleading and demotivating articles. There are hundreds if not thousands of veterans who willingly and by choice are stepping into corporate world not to whine and cry but to conquer and fly high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parv, thanks for reading my post.

      In a discussion of this nature, there is always room for disagreement. So, your observations are taken in the right spirit. However, in order to understand the other point of view, kindly read comments by other readers also. They are from corporates, armed forces, even an army wife....
      While you have your own ground to hold, all these ladies and gentlemen have also given their opinion. And while it is important to listen to you, all of them also cannot be wrong. Kindly give them a fair chance too.

      Delete
    2. Hi Parv,

      The pain of being fired at a time when your life needs that job the most is unimaginable. Suddenly, everything comes at hault, as you mentioned, people who have skills find their way out but in last 2 years, people with skills compared to non are sitting at home, looking for work. The girl and husband didn't loose you know, this setback which they received from the Organisation must have made them individuals with a lot of depth but just imagine, you work for a company day in an day out for 7 years and they fire you in seconds, it's horrible. So, if you re-readthe article, you would understand the intent of the writer, it's not criticizing the corporates, it's bringing out the great divide which one really feels , I can say this with utmost conviction because I am an Army officer's daughter and I know how a soldier gives life for the nation without thinking about his own family.

      Thank you for being honest with your opinions.

      Delete
  7. Well articulated Manish. Being an army wife,
    I totally agree with your views. There is a lot which corporate can imbibe from army, especially the sense of belonging which sticks even after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you madam for reading my post. Who else can know better than an army wife about bonding? I salute the unflinching support which you have given to the organization.

      Delete
  8. The author talks about a great divide , it exists in real world however needless to say you were in a selected few to go through the vagaries of life with government and more so the culture of Armed forces behind you. Corporate body needs to be profitable to sustain themselves and even governments and here the mantra is keep growing. Personal life is too personal, Bondings and associations are here too only need to be explored. Join a parents group, Society or next Society or a morning walk group /gym/game group; you see the real life again....best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my post and sharing your views on the subject.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

उपहार

The Golden Bird

An Ugly Face