The COVID Mother





It was a white ambulance with a red warning light.

We were following it for quite some time through the early morning traffic of Delhi. 

It carried someone who was very dear to us.


The van entered the cremation ground and went straight to platform No 15.

The air was heavy with the smell of burning human flesh.

Two male medical assistants, clad in blue PPE slithered out of the back door.

One of them peeped inside and pushed open a rectangular freezer.

Carefully, they pulled out a grey, laminated body bag which was sealed and tagged.

They placed the bag on top of a wooden pyre which was already there.


‘Who is the elder among you?’ a young pandit asked indifferently, unpacking at the same time a sleek, cardboard box that contained a pack of incense sticks.

My brother inched forward.

‘Can we have one last look at her?’ he said in a feeble voice.

‘Look, as per the rules, it is not allowed. She died of COVID. We can’t take a chance.’

My brother wanted to plead further but I softly placed my hand on his shoulder. 

He relented.


‘Rest of you, please move back and don’t take off your gloves, face shields and masks. OK?’

We were only four of us there.

Relatives, friends, family members- everyone decided to skip the funeral.  No one wanted to take a chance. It was medically not advised. They did what was right but somehow, it never felt right.


The pandit turned towards my brother.

‘Since you would be performing the last rites, you need to put on the kit.’


There were nine more cremations taking place in that suffocating place.

That meant nine more body bags lying atop wooden pyres.

And nine more families going through an ordeal they had never imagined. 


Once my brother got ready, he appeared like an alien covered in white plastic.

The pandit started chanting sacred mantras hurriedly.

He asked me and my nephew to help him with some more wood which was lying nearby in a heap. My father placed a new red saree, matching bangles and some cosmetics on the body bag as per the Hindu tradition.

Finally, my brother was asked to light the pyre.


The virus had given my mother just six days.

It attacked her lungs with vengeance.

She struggled hard to breathe.

A tall oxygen cylinder had stood next to her bed helplessly.

My father never left her side till the time he realized that she could breathe no longer.

She was declared ‘brought-in-dead’ at the hospital.

Her body was then moved to a cold freezer.

What was till then just a figure appearing on news channels turned into a stark reality for us.


As yellow flames engulfed the grey body bag, the old man sat down on the broken pavement and watched helplessly.

His life partner for more than sixty years was going away forever.

He threw up his hands in despair.

He could never understand what wrong he had done to deserve this disaster.

No one could.


‘You all can wait outside in the shed now. Come tomorrow morning to collect the ashes.’

As we all came out, no one had anything to say.

More than her demise, it was the manner in which my mother’s cremation was carried out that had shocked us and rattled our nerves.

We could not even have one last look at her.


That day, I saw death being dealt with in a business-like manner.

Very efficiently indeed.

There was no place for emotions.

Only precautions.

The world had indeed changed.

An unknown virus not only killed people.

It killed much more.

It destroyed human dignity.

It made us afraid, not of death, but of each other.

One man avoided the other.


We realized how helpless we actually were.

Conquerors of space, owners of great inventions, we actually were nobodies who had no clue how to fight a tiny, invisible enemy.

The whole of humanity was on its knees.

Ultimately, man’s monstrous ego had found a match and got crushed badly.

And the funny thing was, you couldn’t blame anybody.

No one was at fault.

It was just one of those things.

A careless leak from a lab somewhere.


I watched the burning pyre from a distance.

A gentle wind began to blow over.

Suddenly, I saw a young, beautiful woman standing next to the pyre.

It was her.

That was how she looked in her hay days.

A young boy with dimpled cheeks and long flowing hair, stood next to her, clutching tightly on her arm.

She smiled and waved at me.

Then, she disappeared into the flames.

The boy started crying and ran after her.

I rushed towards him but the pandit blocked my way.

‘What’s the matter?’

‘That boy,’ I struggled to speak, ‘he would get burned.’

‘Where?’ the pandit turned back.

There was nobody.

‘I think you need some rest.’


I stood there like a statue.

The times that I had spent with her flashed across my mind like giant waves.

There she was, helping me with my homework, playing with me, feeding me lovingly and then putting me to sleep.

There was very little that I could ever do for her.

I couldn’t even tell her how much I loved her.

I was cut off from the source of my life suddenly by the cruel hand of fate.

I felt a growing vacuum within. 


The officer-in-charge at the cremation ground walked up to me and smiled in a matter-of-fact way through a row of yellow teeth.

‘You are very lucky sir. At other places, there are long queues and people are waiting for hours together. And here, you just got free in forty five minutes.’


Just then, another ambulance barged in.

It was business as usual.



(Image by Shalini Singh)













Comments

  1. As I read your story, tears rolled out of my eyes unknowingly.
    Mere words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss,
    And I know that no words will be able to comfort you during this sad time,
    But you need to remember that with each passing day,
    Your mother will still be watching over you,
    And caring for you,
    No matter what.

    I can’t even contemplate what you are going through,
    But I do know that your Mother will always be with you,
    In your heart and in your mind,
    So with each memory of her you have,
    She’ll be alive in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vinay, she will be alive in me.

      Delete
    2. Manish. Really heartrending account.Your attachment with your mother is so palpable. Take care of Uncle as well as yourself. Our condolences-your friend Vinod Gupta ss50

      Delete
  2. Dear Col Manish,

    Very heart rending memories and difficult times that you have gone through. My deepest condolences for your irreparable loss.
    Going back in my memory bank I feel lucky that I could bid farewell to my father on his final journey in a befitting manner.
    This brings us back to hard reality that we should forget our ego and live life, be grateful, say our thank you's and sorries at the earliest.
    It takes lot of courage to open up and share your pain. Hope you are able to live by the happy memories of your Divine Mother.
    Wish you peace and solace.
    Rajive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, Col Rajive, we should be thankful for everything small thing that comes our way🙏

      Delete
  3. A very heart-rending story, a disturbing incident which we all have faced or seen in this unprecedented times. It brings excruciating pain when a mother leaves home and never returns back and more disheartening is that near once do not even get a chance to see the departed soul. The helplessness of the loved once is traumatic and inconsolable.


    My heartfelt condolences for the irreparable loss, but I am sure her blessing will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Shalini, these are indeed unprecedented times.

      Delete
  4. Very heart touching real narration. Authentic. ... Fact of life. Heartfelt condolences for her. Basically, there is No Birth, No Death. Only some transformation takes place. After all you understand it well and you're spiritual yourself. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for the noble soul �� Om Shanti ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart touching narration
    I could feel your pain by the way you articulated it in words. My deepest condolences for your loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iss Corona Kaal me Corona mahamari ek adbhut, akalpaniya, vaishwik aapada bankar aayee jisme bahuton ne apno Ko kho diya. Aur unka ye durbhagya raha ki, pass me rahte huye bhi unke antim darshan na kar sake. Mann ko dravit Karne, evam aatma ko jhakjhor dene wali, iss bebasi ko Kahanikar evam chitrakar dono ne hi bahut marmik evam satyaghatit hone wali ghatna ke roop me prastut kiya hai, jo atyant hi Sarahniya ha.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much sir for understanding the core of the story with so much sensitivity. We are living in a new world now where the meaning of relationships has been redefined.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. cool masks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

उपहार

The Golden Bird

An Ugly Face